Thursday, April 25, 2013

Weird Wednesday ~ Transparent Permanent Pens!

Hello Dahlings!
 
Yes, I know I'm rather late posting this week's Weird Wednesday, but with stamp camp last Saturday & a camp style workshop this Saturday...life has been a wee bit hectic. Even with all da chaos of real life intruding on my polish fantasies, I do have more arts pen results for you.
 
This is all da pens I tested this time. I used Sharpie Pens, Sharpie Ultra Fine Point Permanent Markers & Identi-Pens (also permanent).
 
 
 
I started with 2 coats of China Glaze White On White then a coat of SV. These pens are all translucent & won't show well on colored polish. I'm going to use my left index finger (da blue one in da top pic) for show & tell. On da left side of da nail is da Sharpie permanent marker, in da middle is da Identi-pen & on da right is da Sharpie pen.
 
Da Sharpie pens have a black & silver barrel with a sinuous line of da color to show what's inside. They are great for coloring on paper & are supposed to be both bleed & water resistant. They don't work for nails. Da ink beads up, takes forever to dry & fades out when Seche Vite is added.
 
Da Identi-pens have a silver barrel with da caps on both ends showing da color. They are dual tipped. I used da fine tip for this, the other end has a bullet tip. Da fine tip is a nylon ball point & da ink flows out nicely. It faded a lil bit under da SV, but da colors stayed true. They worked well enuf that I'll use them on my nails again. Da downside of these pens is they only come in sets & have a limited number of colors to play with: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, black & brown.
 
Da Sharpie Ultra Fine markers also draw on polish & come in a much wider array of colors available in both sets & as singles. I found I had to be more careful using these due to the blunt tip cuz it can tear da base color. They held up okay under SV, tho' color shifting happened with some of da colors.
 
Notes to self: Wait a few minutes between base color layers for da polish to get really dry & then wait about 15 minutes after applying top coat so that it dries completely or risk denting & tearing da base color.
 
Also, wait at least 1/2 an hour after applying da last color of marker before adding tc. Fading, dispersing, smearing & changes to da marker color are all possible. (see tomorrow's post for pics of what happens when my wait problem gets da best of me lol)
 
Thanks for stopping by!
~ Inky

2 comments:

  1. Wowee inks, thats a hella lotta pens! You are truly a nail art detective x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More like nail art obsessive! LOL That's only 3 sets plus one extra Sharpie.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think of my post content! However, if you're Anonymous, your comments will NOT be posted & will be marked as spam. Spam is only good for eating & maybe spackling cracks.